Five Day Goldwork Class
Location: Hand & Lock, 86 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8TE
A longer, more in-depth version of Hand & Lock’s goldwork workshop is coming to you this June. Prepare to enjoy not two, but five days of observing and practising the principles of this luxurious embroidery technique.
The ancient technique of goldwork consists of creating fine embroidery with metal bullions. It is historically associated with royal, religious and military attire. However, it has become popular in modern fashion and interior design, with many designers using gold, silver, copper and other metallic effects to produce spectacular details. More than just another embroidery technique, goldwork is regarded as an art, featured in the catwalk creations of prestigious couture houses, such as Balmain and Dolce & Gabbana.
Perfect your skill and discover all about this fine embroidery art. Throughout the five day course, students will learn how to set up a full-size frame, transfer their designs, create a height with soft string padding and felt padding before moving on to specific techniques such as pearl purl and cutwork.
All materials provided | Upon successful completion of the class students receive an official Hand & Lock certificate detailing the new skills mastered | For more information please contact email@example.com
* Please note, class bookings are non refundable
- A Brief History of Hand & Lock and the art of Goldwork
- Looking at examples of Goldwork and the materials used
- Set up a rotative frame the Parisian way
- How to thread a n.12 needle properly and how to knot the end
- Talking about the process of pricking and pouncing
- Start to embroider the first type of padding: Felt padding
- Demonstration and practice of couching the passing thread over felt padding and learn how to tidy the back
- Recap over the previous day
- Demonstration and practice of how to plunge the passing through the fabric and tie off.
- Demonstration and practice of Pearl Purl
- Demonstration and practice of Chips over felt padding
- Demonstration and practice of the last type of padding: String padding
- Recap over the previous day.
- Demonstration of how to manipulate the bullion and cut it
- Demonstration and practice of cutwork over string padding
- Final recap over techniques.
- Start a new design (Level 2)
- Demonstration and practice of Felt and String padding
- Demonstration and practice of using Plate.
- Recap over the previous day.
- Demonstration and practice of Looping
- Demonstrations and practice of Nué
- Demonstration and practice of Brick stitch
- Recap over techniques that were covered in the day prior.
- Demonstration of how to use cutwork with different types of materials and how to use S-ing
- Continue with embroidery design working on areas that have not been completed.
- Final questions and additional help from a tutor if required.
At Hand & Lock the safety of our students and staff is of the utmost importance and we would like to share with you the steps we shall be taking to ensure that your class is safe and enjoyable.
What we are doing
- Class sizes shall be reduced from 12 to 7 students in order to comply with social distancing.
- Each student will have their own workstation which will allow them to be socially distanced.
- All classes will have a sanitation station provided which we will encourage students to frequently use.
- At the end of each day the class will undergo a deep clean where all equipment and surfaces shall be sterilised. Areas with regular contact such as door handles and toilets shall be cleaned regularly.
Things we need you to do
- All students who attend a Hand & Lock workshop shall be asked to follow social distancing throughout the class.
- We kindly request that all students bring their own facemasks to the workshop for the protection of others.
- Lunch is not provided and students shall be asked to eat away from the premises
- Tea and coffee shall be provided but we encourage students to bring their own mugs if they feel more comfortable.
- If you feel more comfortable bringing your own embroidery kit of essential tools, (scissors, needles etc), we encourage you to do this however as stated above, all of our tools provided shall be sanitised.