Passementerie Weaving Class with Elizabeth Ashdown MA RCASKU2288HL
Date: 5th-6th November 2022 Time: 10am - 4.30pm
Location: Hand & Lock, 86 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8TE
Join us for a unique contemporary weaving workshop and explore the wonders of hand passementerie weaving with passementerie artist and heritage craft specialist Elizabeth Ashdown MA RCA.
One of the rarest and most special of all textile crafts, passementerie is the art of creating decorative ribbons, trimmings, braids, cords and fringes. Whether you're interested in interior design, accessories, fashion design, or fine art, this workshop will teach you the introductory passementerie weaving skills you need to create your own fabulous hand woven designs bursting with colour, texture and pattern.
You will create 5 different hand woven contemporary passementerie designs, each design exploring a different hand technique. No prior experience of weaving or of passementerie is required.
Elizabeth Ashdown MA RCA is a passementerie artist based in South East England. She creates contemporary, hand woven artworks using the endangered craft of Passementerie. Only one of a few hand Passementerie weavers working in the UK today, Elizabeth combines traditional craft skills with a contemporary aesthetic in order to create intriguing and playful art works for a variety of clients.
'My role as an artist is not only to respect my traditional craft of Passementerie, but to unleash its potential. One way I do this is through teaching others about this fascinating, rare and endangered craft.'
At Hand & Lock the safety of our students and staff is of the utmost importance and we would like to share with you the steps we shall be taking to ensure that your class is safe and enjoyable.
What we are doing
- All classes will have a sanitation station provided which we will encourage students to frequently use.
- At the end of each day the class will undergo a deep clean where all equipment and surfaces shall be sterilised. Areas with regular contact such as door handles and toilets shall be cleaned regularly.
Things we need you to do.
- Lunch is not provided and students shall be asked to eat away from the premises
- Tea and coffee shall be provided but we encourage students to bring their own mugs if they feel more comfortable.
- If you feel more comfortable bringing your own embroidery kit of essential tools, (scissors, needles etc), we encourage you to do this however as stated above, all of our tools provided shall be sanitised.
*Please note, class bookings are non-refundable.