Six Week Tambour Beading Course
Tambour Beading: 6 Week Intensive
Location: Hand & Lock, 86 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8TE
Time: 18:00 - 21:00
Hand & Lock present a six week class dedicated to the haute couture embroidery technique known as Tambour Beading. Students will learn how to create a design, set up a professional full size frame before learning how to work the hook through the fabric without catching. From here, with practice they will learn how to place beads, sequins and bugles using the technique.
Tambour Beading appeared in Europe in the 18th century and quickly became a popular pastime for ladies. Unlike the other techniques the embroidery is accomplished with a special hook working through a fabric stretched tight as a drum. The technique was fairly exotic compared to other techniques of that time which contributed to its popularity. It is now used to add glamour and luxury to garments such as bridal wear, red carpet gowns and catwalk fashions. Examples of tambour beading can be seen on the catwalks of Elie Saab, Oscar De La Renta, Chanel, Alexander McQueen and Vera Wang.
Our bespoke classes are taught be expert hand embroiderers who have worked in the couture industry for brands such as Alexander McQueen, Chanel, Dior, Valentino, Hermès, Louis Vuitton, YSL, Givenchy, Dolce & Gabbana, Schiaparelli, Lanvin and Burberry to name a few. The classes will cover the basics, insider tips and practical application making sure students are fully equipped to go on and apply what they have learned to their own garments and develop their own unique styles.
All materials provided | Upon successful completion of the class students receive an official Hand & Lock certificate detailing the new skills mastered | For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note, class bookings are non-refundable.
Students enrolled on this special class will learn the following:
- Introduction to Hand & Lock.
- Set up a full size frame.
- Learn the chain stitch as well as becoming comfortable with the tambour hook on plain opaque fabric.
- Learn how to add beads to threads and attach to fabric using the chain stitch.
- Learn how to attach sequins.
- Work on a larger more complex design.
- Learn the Vermicelli technique.
- Continue on larger design.
- Learn Pulled Stitch technique.
- Recap over work and discuss any unanswered questions.
- Experimental application (In their final session students will also benefit from an experimental session, this is a chance to adapt to new skills learned to real-life practical applications of each student).
At Hand & Lock the safety of our students and staff is of the utmost importance and we would like to share with you the steps we shall be taking to ensure that your class is safe and enjoyable.
What we are doing
- All classes will have a sanitation station provided which we will encourage students to frequently use.
- At the end of each day the class will undergo a deep clean where all equipment and surfaces shall be sterilised. Areas with regular contact such as door handles and toilets shall be cleaned regularly.
Things we need you to do.
- Tea and coffee shall be provided but we encourage students to bring their own mugs if they feel more comfortable.
- If you feel more comfortable bringing your own embroidery kit of essential tools, (scissors, needles etc), we encourage you to do this however as stated above, all of our tools provided shall be sanitised.
- Please do not attend the class if you feel unwell or if you have tested positive for COVID-19.