Two Day Goldwork WorkshopSKU2279HL
Goldwork: 2 Day workshop (Level 1)
Suitable for beginners and novices alike.
Location: Hand & Lock, 86 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8TE
Daily Time: 10:00 - 4:30 with 1 hour lunch break (not provided)
Goldwork is the art of embroidery using metal threads. Historically associated with ceremonial and military uniform the technique is now also popular in customisation, couture and interior design. Using threads that are imitation gold, silver, copper, or coloured allows embroiderers to create metallic surface designs that reflect light and create dazzling effects.
Hand & Lock invite you to discover the fine art of Goldwork in our London based studio. Over the course of one intense weekend, students will learn fundamentals such as setting up a full-size frame, transferring their designs, soft string padding, felt padding before learning the more complex elements such as pearl purl and cutwork. All materials provided | Upon successful completion of the class students receive an official Hand & Lock certificate detailing the new skills mastered | For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note, class bookings are non-refundable
- Brief History of Hand & Lock and the art of Goldwork
- Looking at examples of Goldwork and the materials used
- Set up a hoop frame
- How to thread an n.12 needle properly and how to knot the end
- Talking about the process of pricking and pouncing
- Start to embroider the first type of padding: Felt padding
- Demonstration and practice of couching the passing thread over felt padding and learn how to tidy the back
- Demonstration and practice of how to plunge the passing through the fabric and tie off.
- Recap over the previous day
- Demonstration of how to manipulate the bullion
- Demonstration and practice of chips over felt padding
- Demonstration and practice of the last type of padding: String padding
- Demonstration and practice of cutwork over string padding
- Final recap over techniques.
At Hand & Lock the safety of our students and staff is of the utmost importance and we would like to share with you the steps we shall be taking to ensure that your class is safe and enjoyable.
What we are doing
- Class sizes shall be reduced from 12 to 6 students in order to comply with social distancing.
- Each student will have their own workstation which will allow them to be socially distanced.
- All classes will have a sanitation station provided which we will encourage students to frequently use.
- At the end of each day the class will undergo a deep clean where all equipment and surfaces shall be sterilised. Areas with regular contact such as door handles and toilets shall be cleaned regularly.
Things we need you to do
- All students who attend a Hand & Lock workshop shall be asked to follow social distancing throughout the class.
- We kindly request that all students bring their own facemasks to the workshop for the protection of others.
- Lunch is not provided and students shall be asked to eat away from the premises
- Tea and coffee shall be provided but we encourage students to bring their own mugs if they feel more comfortable.
- If you feel more comfortable bringing your own embroidery kit of essential tools, (scissors, needles etc), we encourage you to do this however as stated above, all of our tools provided shall be sanitised.