Haute Couture Tambour Beading: Intensive Six Week course
(Tambour Beading Level 1+2)
Suitable for beginners and novices alike.
Location: Hand & Lock, 86 Margaret Street, London, W1W 8TE
Time: 18:00 - 20:30
Dates: Tuesdays, April 16 - May 21, 2019.
Hand & Lock present a six week class dedicated to the haute couture embroidery technique known as Tambour Beading. Starting in April 2019, students will learn how to create a design, set up a professional full size frame before learning how to work the hook through the fabric without catching. From here, with practice they will learn how to place beads, sequins and bugles using the technique.Tambour Beading appeared in Europe in the 18th century and quickly became a popular pastime for ladies. Unlike the other techniques the embroidery is accomplished with a special hook working through a fabric stretched tight as a drum. The technique was fairly exotic compared to other techniques of that time which contributed to its popularity. It is now used to add glamour and luxury to garments such as bridal wear, red carpet gowns and catwalk fashions. Examples of tambour beading can be seen on the catwalks of Elie Saab, Oscar De La Renta, Chanel, Alexander McQueen and Vera Wang.
Students enrolled on this special class will learn the following:
- Introduction to Hand & Lock.
- Set up a full size frame.
- Learn the chain stitch as well as becoming comfortable with the tambour hook on plain opaque fabric.
- Learn how to add beads to threads and attach to fabric using the chain stitch.
- Learn how to attach sequins.
- Work on a larger more complex design.
- Learn the Vermicelli technique.
- Continue on larger design.
- Your chance to absorb what you have learned and practice in your own time.
- Learn Pulled Stitch technique.
- Recap over work and discuss any unanswered questions.
- Experimental application (In their final session students will also benefit from an experimental session, this is a chance to adapt the new skills learned to the real-life practical applications of each student).
Full Class Structure available on request | All materials are provided, (including rotating frame and hook) | 12 spaces per class | Practice outside of class is encouraged and will lead to better results
Upon completion of the class students can request an official Hand and Lock certificate detailing the new skills mastered.
*Please note, class bookings are non refundable